I skipped Body Pump tonight because I was hungry & wanted to get to the grocery store. I had already run 45 minutes & walked 15 minutes so I was happy with today’s exercise. I went to the same grocery store as last week to pick up more yummy swiss chard, kale, & other goodies. My goal was to spend $25-$30, but my credit card will show $107. Eeeeeek!
It started out very innocently in the produce department. I purchased:
- 2 golden beets ($2.36)
- 3 avocados ($2.97)
- bunch of kale ($2.29)
- a bunch of red swiss chard ($2.69)
- 3 lemons ($1.33)
- a big bag of organic carrots ($2.49)
- 5 pink lady apples ($4.02)
- Total: $18.15
Perfect! I always find it amusing when people say that eating organic & healthy is expensive. You know how many meals I’ll make with those few items for the next couple of days? Granted you need a few more other items to round out the produce, but I have in my fridge right now a huge bunch of swiss chard that cost me $2.69. Boo-yah
Eating healthy becomes expensive when a person purchases the fun stuff. I see lots of yummy products on food blogs which means I look for them during my next grocery trip. Today was the worst of them all. It doesn’t help that this grocery store I now frequent has an amazing arrays of healthy fun goodies. I also made the typical “Cat” mistake of talking on the phone while shopping which had me walking up & down the aisles throwing stuff in my basket.
The fun stuff loot:
- Artisana’s Raw Organic Cacao Bliss I’m looking forward to breakfast tomorrow to try this little nugget.
- Crofters Organic Superfruit Jam
- Republic of Tea Honey Ginseng Green Tea (<3)
- 5 LaraBars
- 5 Justin’s Nut Butter packets
- 4 Raw Vanilla Macaroons (when the Fitnessista says something is a foodgasm she means it because I ate 2 of these bad boys & was moaning after each bite!)
- Vegan Macrobiotic Thai Dumplings
- Uber expensive hot chocolate (it was that or the uber uber expensive hot chocolate)
- And about a lot of other random stuff for the fiance but those were the big boys
And that’s how I ended up spending over $100 in groceries tonight. I like to tell myself that next time I won’t need to buy the cacao butter, jam, or Thai dumplings, but I usually end up getting a few extra items that aren’t on my list anyways. I just won’t do enough damage as I did this time. :)
Anyways, I ended up having some of the Thai dumplings + a salad for dinner. It hit the spot!
**I guess I have to write a little disclaimer stating that none of the companies I’ve mentioned asked me to buy their food products today to review. I bought them only on whim with my own money. :)